Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
I made the mistake of watching an episode of My Kitchen Rules and one of the couples were cooking up a delicious batch of mushroom stock. Ever since then I have had a craving for cream of mushroom soup. Which is slightly insane when you live in a tropical climate and soup really should not be on the menu.
Nonetheless I made some, but instead of using a traditional recipe which involves cream and lots of wasted calories, I tried a cauliflower puree as a thickener and it worked perfectly.
Nitty Gritty: This soup is gluten free, sugar free, grain free, dairy free and vegan friendly. It is high in protein and low in calories.
- 500 gms of raw roughly chopped cauliflower
- 300 gms of almond milk.
- 1/2 cup of vegetable stock*
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp macadamia oil.
- 300 gms sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- pepper for seasoning
- Place cauliflower into TM bowl and hit the Turbo button 3 times or until finely chopped.
- Add salt and almond milk, cook for 6 minutes at 100C on Speed 1.
- While that is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan and saute onions and garlic for a couple of minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- When TM has finished cooking for 6 minutes. Cook for a further minute at 100C on Speed 10.
- Pour cauliflower puree into the saucepan with the mushroom mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock now if you don’t like your soup too thick. I did.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you like your mushrooms diced then simply serve as is.
- If you want them to be finely diced, add soup back into TM bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 5.
- If you like your mushroom soup extra creamy then mix for 1 minute on Speed 9. Still too thick? ass a little water or vegetable stock and mix for 10 more seconds.
- Place finely diced cauliflower in a saucepan with salt and almond milk.
- Cover and bring to the boil for 7-8 minutes.
- In another saucepan follow steps 3 & 4 above.
- Use a blender or food processor and pulse cauliflower mixture into a fine puree.
- Follow steps 6 & 7 above.
- If you want your mushrooms to be blended then use your food proccessor or blender to do so until you achieve your required consistency.