This one will knock your socks off and feed an army at the same time. It is absolutely delicious! You can serve it up on its own or with steamed rice. If you have leftovers then it is perfect in wraps or toasted sandwiches for lunch the next day.
A dish of this makes a terrific dip served with corn chips and guacamole on the side.
- 1 cup of organic white quinoa (rinse and soak – optional)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes ( 2 x 400gms)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 red chilli (optional – if you don’t like it too spicy leave this out)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tsps chilli powder
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 2 tsps pink salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Toppings (see below)
- Rinse quinoa 3-4 times and soak for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Cook quinoa as per packet instructions.
- Heat olive oil in large cooking pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, capsicum, garlic and chilli, and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add spices, coconut sugar, salt and cacao powder and saute for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, water and cooked quinoa, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Simmer for longer if sauce needs to thicken.
- Add rinsed and drained beans and cook for several minutes until beans are heated through.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
- Sour cream
- Diced or mashed avocado
- Lime wedges
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Grated cheese