Mexican Quinoa Dish
When I used to see the packet of quinoa staring back at me in the pantry I automatically thought – B O R I N G. And the same could be said for the cans of black beans and red kidney beans – pantry space wasters.
These past few weeks I have been on a mission to make some delicious and healthy additions to our weekly menu plan using quinoa.
Quinoa is the bomb! It is so easy to cook and it makes SO much when you do use it.
Leftover ideas – this dish is fantastic the next day in wraps, taco shells, lettuce cups and or served with steamed rice.
Why do I rinse and soak my quinoa?
Quinoa has a bitter saponin coating which is removed with rinsing. Just pop it into a fine-meshed strainer and run under cold water, rub the seeds with your fingers to help remove the coating. I then soak it for 20-30 minutes as I like to cook it in my thermomix and soaking helps it to expand a little so it doesn’t fall through the TM basket.
You could skip the soaking process if cooking it conventionally.
Nitty Gritty – this dish is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegetarian, and vegan. It is high in fibre and protein.
Preparation time – The title of this post is deceiving as you do need to roast your sweet potato and tomatoes and cook your quinoa first. But once that’s done (30 minutes), it really is a matter of putting all together in one cooking pot and in just 10 minutes you will have that one pot wonder ready to go.
Note – This dish is not as spicy as my Quinoa Chilli Con Carne Recipe.
- 1 cup of white organic quinoa
- 1 large sweet potato – peeled and cubed into 2cm pieces
- 1 punnet of mini roma/cherry tomatoes (200gms) halved
- balsamic vinegar for glazing tomatoes
- organic coconut sugar to sprinkle over tomatoes
- olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can corn rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin plus extra to dust cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 avocado halved, deseeded and diced
- 1 lime – cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C and prepare two roasting trays with baking paper.
- Cook quinoa as per packet instructions. Or place cook in Thermomix basket into TM bowl, cover with water and cook on varoma, Speed 3 for 18 minutes.
- Whilst quinoa is cooking, place sweet potato on baking paper, spray lightly with olive oil and dust with ground cumin. Place tray into the oven for 10 mins.
- Next place halved mini roma tomatoes onto a tray, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle on some organic coconut sugar and sea salt.
- Place into the oven after sweet potato has cooked for 10 minutes. Cook both trays now for a further 15 minutes.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat with olive oil.
- Add minced garlic and diced onion and saute gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spices and saute for a further minute.
- Add can of diced tomatoes, stock, salt and cooked quinoa to pot.
- Add the oven-roasted sweet potato and tomatoes to pot and stir through.
- Add beans and corn to pot, stir and cover pot with lid.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- When ready to serve, squeeze over the lime juice, top with coriander and diced avocado and gently fold through.
- Serve immediately.