I’m always at a complete loss for unique ideas when it comes to buying gifts for Father’s Day. What do you buy the men in your life that don’t need a thing?
Nothing, that’s what.
You make it.
A few weeks ago I pulled out my dusty crochet hook and started making some crocheted dishcloths and washcloths. Firstly, it kept my hands busy ie. stopped them from stuffing food in my mouth all day long, because you know – RUNGRY. Secondly, they are great little projects to use up leftover bits of yarn.
Easy Crochet Washcloth Pattern
Then the genius in me thought what if I folded one over, popped a bar of soap in there and threaded a rope through to sew it together for soap on a rope. I was also motivated by the fact that I had spent the entire week not being able to bend and pick things up thanks to my first personal training session at the gym. When a bar of soap slipped out of my hands in the shower for the third time in mere seconds – meh! too freakin’ hard.
This easy crochet washcloth pattern is perfect for beginners and older children just learning to crochet. I have included links and instructions further down below to help you out.
I taught myself to crochet by watching YouTube tutorials and you can too (see videos below).
You can whip one of these easy crochet washcloth’s up in an episode of your favourite TV season. Right now, that is Nashville for me. Love it!! I spent my rest day on Saturday on the couch crocheting and I watched the entire first season of Indian Summers, loved that too.
Ok, so what do you need?
- 5mm crochet hook
- 100% cotton yarn
- a bar of soap
- safety pin
Easy Crochet Washcloth Pattern Instructions
Pattern in US Crochet terminology. See Australian/UK abbreviation chart here.
- Chain 26.
- (Row 1) Skip the first chain and HDC (half double crochet) in each of the chains until the end of the row.
- (Row 2-20) Chain 1, skip that first chain and HDC until the end of the row.
- Weave in ends and you will have roughly an 8in x 8in square.
- Use the chain stitch to crochet a metre long cord or a fancy pants french knitting tool.
- Fold crocheted washcloth in half and use a medium sized safety pin to sew it together with the cord.
- Secure the cord at the bottom corner with a knot.
- Pop in a bar of soap and continue to weave the top closed.
- Loop the cord up the top for a handle.
- When the soap needs replacing you just need to pull the cord back through the top section, pop a new bar in and weave back together. Easy!
No more smelly Dads! Winning!
Now I want to make some pretty ones for myself. Did you know you can buy online at Spotlight? I couldn’t find any pink 100% cotton yarn in-store and bam there it is online! This could be dangerous.
YouTube Crochet Tutorials
1. How to make a crochet chain.
2. How to do the half double crochet stitch HDC.
3. How to change yarn colour.
4. How to finish off and weave in ends.
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. I received some yarn from a recent Spotlight event and put it to good use.